October 10, 2008

Tahini Squirrel

Well today was interesting. Jeremy and I opened the back door and found a squirrel who had apparently dropped off of the garage roof and into a large white bucket of what looked like a plaster of some sort. Without thinking Jeremy tipped it over to release the poor thing that had been scrambling and clawing to get out for some time now. The side of the garage was splattered in white paste from the squirrel's frantic attempts to escape.

He sort of slithered off collecting leaves and dirt that stuck to his tail and body. We realized right away that it was a mistake to have let him go without rinsing him off because he would probably die if he tried to lick it. I grabbed the bucket and followed suit thinking I might be able to catch the little guy and give him a shower under the tap; but it proved much more difficult than expected.

Even though he was exhauseted and couldn't climb trees he was fast enough to evade my efforts. I ran up and down the alleyways and streets in the neighbourhood until he settled under an S.U.V, which I circled about four times, bucket in hand, before realizing there was a man inside who, by the look on his face, thought I was mentally challenged. I stopped and informed him that I was not a crazy person, that I was just trying to catch a squirrel with my bucket. I'm not certain if that assured him, as he slowly drove away without saying anything at all.

I noticed neighbours staring from their porches and decided to give up my mission. But then, holding up the bucket I noticed the lable...Tahini. Tahini!? It wasn't paint or plaster after all. It was a giant container used in the restaurant business. The squirrel purposely jumped into the bucket to have lunch and got stuck! All's well that ends well I guess. What a day.

No comments: